From a happy user

• 3 Replies

ron

• Administrator
  • Guru
From a happy user
« on: December 31, 2016, 16:20:24 »
Colin's been a happy user (and contributor) to Reva Forth, and now 8th... and he just put up a video for his T-shirt drawing, in which he makes a very nice mention of me and 8th.

hotcore

• Master
From another happy user
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 16:53:10 »
Today I did my first baby steps with the 8th GUI.
I find that the GUI of 8th is impressive and *very* comprehensive and easy to use as well.
Of course I'll need to learn a lot (again) ... but stumbling is the way to learn things.

All in all 8th is a real masterpiece. Kudos to Ron!  :)  :)  :)
I wonder how long it took to develop all this ...

Question:
There is the JSON syntax and there are the word docs.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a list of JSON corresponding with the functions which dynamically can effect a GUI?

ron

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: From a happy user
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 17:19:50 »
Thanks for the kudos :)

Well, the 8th has been under development since 2013, with many long hours and the helpful feedback of users.

The manual in the GUI section does (or is supposed to, anyway) give details about what items the GUI JSON can have for each kind of GUI item, and what the events are it can generate or respond to.  The words which can affect a GUI are detailed in the help doc as well as the manual.  Is there some other kind of reference you mean?

hotcore

• Master
Re: From a happy user
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 13:20:10 »
Yes. What I mean is that terms are not "the same", e.g. :

JSON "border" somehow corresponds with g:outlinethickness.

So it would be nice to have a kind of XRE|F to find which function corresponds with which JSON GUI spec and v.v.