Looking for PDF expertise

• 3 Replies

ron

• Administrator
  • Guru
Looking for PDF expertise
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:24:36 »
The 16.12 library "utils/pdf" is my adaptation of this adaptation of FPDF to 8th.  It is quite incomplete, though it can produce simple PDFs.

Because as of 16.12 the internal PDF functionality was removed (to save space, and because the supporting library used has not been maintained in years), it is more important to elevate 'utils/pdf' to a higher level.

I'm "selling" this task because I don't have ample free time to do it myself. 

Anyone who brings the "utils/pdf" library to a full level of functionality (including embedded fonts, etc) which matches or exceeds the prior built-in functionality -- with readable, maintainable code -- will receive a free Professional license (either an upgrade to one, or an extension of a year of upgrades for an existing one).

If you are interested in taking this on, please send an email directly to me at ron (at) aaron-tech (dot) com

hotcore

• Master
Re: Looking for PDF expertise
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 14:28:07 »
Hi Ron,

alas, I'm not a c++ expert ...

But I used the FPDF library for Go(lang) extensively and it is quite good!
I needed a mix of:
- images
- text
- different fonts
- different colored letters

So, indeed a complete port would be *very* nice.

This kind of library is needed for 8th to draw attention of a lot of developers.

Another thing which would be nice is the ability to read from and write to Excel. I didn't search the forum yet ...
For that I used the Go(lang) library from Kurt Jung, which works quite nice.

/Arie

ron

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 14:35:29 »
Actually, no C++ is needed here.  The pdf library is in 8th, and FPDF is PHP.

Writing to Excel is simple enough: just write CSV.  Reading in CSV is also (relatively) simple.  Reading native Excel is a nightmare.

Dirt Meister

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 00:24:39 »
Reading anything native from Microsoft is a nightmare!  ;D